Wednesday, March 25, 2009

True Life: I Survived My First Eurotrip

We just got back to the hotel...alive.

Bobby, Allyson, Lacey, Laura and I made it to the train station to rent a car at Avis at 7am. We hit the road and made it to our first stop: Mont St. Michel- took a quick tour, walked up probably 2,000 stairs at the least and got some good photos for Allyson's story. 

Then we headed straight to the D-Day Memorial at Omaha Beach- walked around the grounds and then hiked down another 5,000 steps to the beach...well worth it. We took a bazillion photos, that I will upload later...its been a long day.

 After a LONG, WONDERFUL DAY in Normandy, we hoped back into our hatchback and hit the highway straight to Paris...who would've thought 5 U.S. college students could successfully drive themselves from Paris to Normandy and back without trouble? we spoke too soon. 


Someone in the car had the bright idea to drive into the city and under the Arch de Triomphe  to see the city at night rather than go straight to the train station to drop off the car.....bad idea.

After 2 hours of weaving in and out of 12 lanes of traffic and making our way around 3 million round-a-bouts, we finally pulled into the Avis parking deck, safe and alive. 

My shoulders are stiff with stress and I still can't figure out why we thought that we were prepared to drive alone in one of the biggest cities in the world. 

Needless to say, I'm at the hotel....headed out for a well deserved victory "I'm alive" beer then headed to bed. 

Will post photos tomorrow, after I clean the squished banana out of my backpack and can wrap my brain around literally the craziest night of my life. so far. 

3 comments: